For 12U-14U teams
Based on the Criteria for Selection, the top 12-24 athletes (depending on the number of teams per age group) will be selected by the end of tryouts to a joint training group. For age groups where 2 teams will be formed, placements on the Blue or White team will happen at the end of January. Teams are structured in a manner that our coaches determine to be best for each athlete based on their current stage of development.
Both teams will train together 1-2 times per week depending on the availability of appropriate gym facilities.
- 12U: 1-2 teams
- 13U: 1-2 teams
- 14U: 1-2 teams
For 15U-18U teams
Final selection into teams will be at tryouts. While the philosophy of training as a division continues, there is more time spent training as a team unit. Teams are not necessarily even but are balanced based on factors such as position, current and potential skill, and the need to ensure that a larger group of players have exposure to both high-level training and competition.
We think it is significantly important, especially at the 15U-16U levels, that rather than have some of the top players on the bench on a “top team” they learn to lead, be a go-to player, and have more competitive exposure on a 1B team. Eventually, these top players will be together at the 17U/18U levels and will have benefited from this development model.
- 15U: 2 teams –Blue & White
- 16U: 2 teams – Blue & White
- 17/18: 2-3 teams – athlete abilities and ages will determine team breakdowns
Click on the links below for more information about:
- Tryout Registration and Schedule– Fall 2021
- Criteria for Selection
- Athlete Date of Birth and Age Group Policy
- In-catchment Policy for 12U-15U – UPDATED
Offers to join a Thunder team – 2022 season
As per Volleyball BC policy, Thunder will provide a Signing Offer only to players who have attended a Thunder tryout. The offer will be made via email, and players may respond at anytime up to the Offer Signing Date (see below).
Excerpt from the Volleyball BC Handbook 2022 (pp 8-9)
- Offers remain open until 6:00pm PST on the Offer Signing Date. Once an offer has been presented to an athlete, a club cannot rescind that offer until after 6:00pm on the Offer Signing Date.
- Athletes cannot be pressured to accept an offer before 6:00pm on the Offer Signing Date.
- Offers expire at 6:00pm PST on the Offer Signing Date.
- Offers made after 6:00pm PST on the Offer Signing Date cannot be rescinded for a minimum of 24 hours
Offer signing dates:
- U12 – U14 : Offers cannot be rescinded prior to 6:00 PM on November 29, 2021.
- U15: Offer cannot be rescinded prior to 6:00 PM on December 6, 2021.
- U16 – U18: Offers cannot be rescinded prior to 6:00 PM on December 13, 2021.